[OM] Re: Another photo store bites the dust

Subject: [OM] Re: Another photo store bites the dust
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:12:46 +0000
If we're thinking of the same place, the Cheshire Bridge store was Showcase, or
Show-something.  My two ancient blue LowePro bags came from there, bought
probably about 1984.  Don't know if they're still there, but the Varsity Jr.
still is.  I found it more useful, certainly more fulfilling, although never
quite as satisfying as the real Varsity.

I suppose it's the atmosphere.  "What'll ya have, what'll ya have?  Have ya
order in ya mind an' ya money in ya hand.  What'll ya have, what'll ya have?"
Always great fun to take somebody there for the first time and let them be
first in line, then watch them stammer and stutter, looking like a deer in the
headlights.  Next time, they know how to shout out, "Two all-the-way dogs,
rings, fries," remembering that the drink order comes down the line later.

As for Wolf, I haven't darkened a Wolf's den door in at least 10 years.  No
wonder Uncle Ritz had to take over the chain, although I'm not sure it's much
of an improvement.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --

From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I remember going there, but it never was my favorite store.  Back in my go-go
> OM
> days I went primarily to either Photo Barn out in Lilburn, Crown Camera
> downtown, or that big store on Cheshire Bridge, by the Lowes Tara and Varsity
> Jr. (can't remember the name).  Wolf always turned me off, and CC-USA was out
> of
> my way.
>
> Sad to see it go, but it's bound to happen to more stores that don't change.

[snip]