[OM] Dang, I wish I hadn't lost my mind

Subject: [OM] Dang, I wish I hadn't lost my mind
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:36:58 EST
Any who have been around for a while have heard me encouraging others to  get
out on the playing field, to show their work, enter contest, participate in
photo clubs and in general to do things that would get them to the next step
with their photography.  Yes, to some extent I've been kind of a cheering
section for all those on the list.

One of the ways I keep engage is through club competition each month.   I'm
allowed to enter two prints each month, in any of three possible  categories
(B&W, Color or Special) The special category is a particular  subject, very
similar to out TOPE and I try to enter it as often as possible as  it seems to
be
a little more challenging.  The special category for  November is one I'd been
working on for 5 or 6 weeks and had produced what  I thought would be a good
entry.  There is a friend of mine from the club  who was going to be out of
town for a few weeks and I told her to email me a  file for the special
category
and I'd print it for her and enter it last  Tuesday.  I told her what the
category was and she sent it and I printed it  and entered it.  I was really
rather pleased with my entry and thought it  fit the category perfectly and
would
do well in the judging.

Tuesday rolled around, and a blowing rain storm descended on us, but I was
at the meeting, portfolio box under my arm and loaded for bear.  You can
imagine the sinking feeling that occurred when they started judging the special

category and announced the subject which was "Too Much."  Wait, what the  heck
is going on, the topic is "Simple" and both Susan and I have been working  on
our entries for several weeks.  I know there is a mistake as I read it  in our
monthly newsletter.  I couldn't have screwed up that bad, it had to  be
someone else's error.  After all I had told Susan what the topic was and  we
both
had really worked on it.  I could hardly wait to get home and  review my
newsletter.  Well, you can guess what it said . . "Too  Much."  Double dang,
how did
I do that?

Couldn't figure it out, until I visited the TOPE site today and checked to
see what the next TOPE event was going to be.  Yes, you guessed it,
"Simplicity."  What a simple sh%# I had been.  So, what I can tell you  guys is
this,
the judge didn't think either of our entries were "Too Much" and  I've got a
pretty cool Simple TOPE entry that was shot with my e-1 within a few  weeks of
the start date of the TOPE that I am going to enter.  I hope the  TOPE master
and all my friends on the list will let this early shooting slide  and just
consider that it came from the simple sh%# who has lost his mind.

So, on this Thanksgiving Day, I am thankful that although I've lost my  mind,
I haven't lost my ability to laugh at myself.  If I couldn't do that,  it
would be simply too much.  [8^))  Bill  Barber