[OM] Re: Is there something to see in Scotland ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Is there something to see in Scotland ?
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:03:38 -0400
What y'say about the good stuff being south of the river Tweed? Within an
hour or two of Kelso on the right side of the border  you can:

swing your mashie, spoon and niblick at Muirfield, world renowned golf links
at Gullane, East Lothian, east of Edinburgh,

run up and down Arthurs Seat [mountain] in Edinburgh [my mother did several
times a week while she at college in Edinburgh]

climb North Berwick Law [612 feet elevation] at North Berwick, East Lothian,
east of Edinburgh as have a fabulous view,,

go order and eat haggis at Lauder in Berwickshire [where my parents got
married],

visit the home of the Coldstream Guards regiment at Coldstream,
Berwickshire,

visit the ancestral home of The Earl of Home, Aec Douglas Home, former
British Prime Minister
at The Hirsel estate in Coldstream,

visit Tantallan Castle on the coast just a mile or two east of north
Berwick,

fish for salmon in the Rver Tweed from the Scottish side,

good read "The Heart of Midlothian" by Sir Walter Scott in the Edinburgh
public library,

chat up the Queen over afternoon tea and pastries at the Palace of
Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh,

take in the Edinburgh Tattoo on the forecourt of Edinburgh Castle in August,

spend Scottish money [Scotland issues its own paper money],

walk up and down Princes Street in Edinburgh [one of the most civilised
streets in the UK]

visit Dryburgh Abbey just down the road from Kelso,

enjoy any one of the countless number of pubs in the region,

and that's just for starters.

John Hudson