[OM] Re: Sunpak 522 Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Sunpak 522 Flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:24:08 -0500
John Lind replied to John Mitchell and verified that the Sunpak Olympus
module R.S. (Remote Sensor) OT-5 does indeed allow Olympus TTL operation
as well as providing off camera sensor operation in normal auto mode.
(Probably pretty rare but there was also a 5 foot extension cord offered
to extend the reach of the normal 5 foot coiled cord on the OT-5))

In addition, John posed some OT-5 mystery questions which I can answer
by virtue of having a 522 and OT-5 (including manuals):
"One thing I've never been able to solve is the mystery
of the "N/T" slider on top.  It obviously does something mechanical with
the Auto sensor . . . it's throw is much too long to be purely an
electronic switch . . . my best guess being that the "T" is a telephoto
position that narrows the sensor's angle of view."

Good guess, John.  The "N/T" stands for Normal and Telephoto and changes
the sensor acceptance angle from 15 degrees at normal to 8 degrees at
telephoto.

That brings me to the second mystery of the module . . . white
markings on the right edge of the aperture/distance window which shows
"0.5" in line with the meter scale and "1.6" in line with the foot
scale.  Never have been able to deduce what those are there for.  It is
approximately the ratio of meters to feet though . . . 0.5 meters ~= 1.6
feet (to two significant digits).

This one's a lot tougher but you were on the right track.  The 0.5 meter
and 1.6 foot markings are warnings about the minimum sensor to subject
distance in auto mode.

Shortly after I bought the Sunpak 522 and OT-5 from a list member
several years ago I bought my first T-32 (I now have 4).  The 522 and
OT-5 have sat unused all this time until a few weeks ago when I managed
to buy a Sunpak/PC cord which was one accessory I didn't have.  I
attached the 522 with diffuser in auto mode to my Minolta A1 and used it
to cover some 300 candid shots at the Brain Tumor Society meeting in
Boston.  The flash performed admirably.  I assume the OT-5 works but
I've never actually used it.

Chuck Norcutt