[OM] Re: Sunpak 522 Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Sunpak 522 Flash
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:09:09 -0500
At 09:24 AM 11/22/04, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>This one's a lot tougher but you were on the right track.  The 0.5 meter
>and 1.6 foot markings are warnings about the minimum sensor to subject
>distance in auto mode.

I was wondering if that's what it might be . . .
However, it seemed a very short distance compared to the minimum for most
flash units . . . unless (by virtue of its location) that's the minimum
distance if and only if the narrowest aperture (as shown on the dial) is
being used

Now I'm wondering . . . as that is what it actually is for . . . if that is
the case . . . the minimum distance at narrowest aperture as shown on the
dial (specific f-number being dependent on film speed) . . . minimum
distance being entirely dependent on combination of minimum flash duration
and lens aperture.

I had also pondered (in the deep past) whether or not there was an
extension cord as the coiled one is rather short and requires the remote
sensor to remain relatively close to the flash.  That there is [or was]
such a cord fits with the 522's design concept overall and adds to its
flexibility . . . allowing it to be used off-camera for things such as
"table top" photography in TTL.

You should try using the module in TTL some time (initially for some
non-critical shots) . . .
I found the successor system with the 555 and 120J to work quite well
throughout their entire range of working distances . . . albeit that's much
more an attribute of the OM TTL metering than it is the Sunpak module.  In
addition, you also verified another suspicion . . . that auto sensors that
seem to work well are not using the entire flash coverage or lens
acceptance angle but use the central portion of it . . . to keep from being
unduly affected by anomalous bright highlights which tend to be outside
that region (the flash sensor version of center-weighted metering).

-- John Lind