[OM] Re: Level photography ;-), was [photo] Fall Mist

Subject: [OM] Re: Level photography ;-), was [photo] Fall Mist
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:30:13 +0000
John

That was an exceedingly rhetorical answer (;-)) and very welcome.
Thanks for your idea about the photographer's feeling about the space
he is capturing, as it were, and the subsequent viewer's.  I suppose I
am always concerned with the potential viewer's perception, perhaps
more than my own most of the time.

But the inner ear's balance mechanism has not measure of gravity per
se, by my understanding.  It is possible I have forgotten something
over the years, but my aeromedical training (grand name for survival
skils in the air) mentioned the semi-circular canals, the fluid that
they contain and the tiny hairs which bend with the fluid's movement as
the head moves – measured in 3 axes.  In this way you can feel movement
from a position; once the fluid stops moving you have reached a new
starting point for movement.   But there is nothing to tell you which
way is up except for other cues: visual, external feel and of course
the way your bloo's pressure feels in your head (if you are inverted
the blood rushes to your head).  Tell me if I'm wrong, because I need
to know these things! ;-)

A diagram is at this url: http://oto.wustl.edu/cochlea/intro1.htm

Chris

On 20 Nov 2004, at 16:37, John A. Lind wrote:
snipped ...
> Level tripod is only a starting point.  "Leveling" a tripod uses _only_
> local gravity, something a viewer later will _not_ have as a _visual_
> cue.  A photograph is a visual slice of space (recording of light)
> presented to others at a different time in a different place.  The
> photographer has visual and physiological (notably inner ear) cues
> about
> local "horizonatal" and "vertical" that the viewer later does not
> have.
<|_:-)_|>
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.