[OM] Re: Hand tools -

Subject: [OM] Re: Hand tools -
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:30:46 -0700
At 04:02 PM 19/11/2004, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

[snip]

>BTW, are the so called Robertson screwdrivers that common in the USA/Canada?
>Their point looks like a square-base pyramid. Had to make one to come home
>some time ago...

Not common at all in the U.S. -- in fact, up until just a few years ago,
they were practically unknown.  In Canada (where the screws were invented),
the Robertson series has been used since the early part of the last
century, and are extremely popular, as it's very difficult to overtorque
'em.  An entry on the Philips screwdriver at Ask Yahoo includes this info:

>Interestingly enough, Phillips was not the first to improve on the old
>slotted screw. In 1908, Canadian
><http://www.tackaberrytimes.com/articles/robertson_screw/robertson_screw.htm>Peter
>
>L. Robertson invented a square-head screw. The Robertson screw was the
>first recess-drive fastener that was practical for mass production. It had
>all the advantages of the Phillips, but Robertson was unable to get it
>used by American industries. This screw is standard in
><http://www.csmonitor.com/durable/2000/09/14/p19s2.htm>Canada and is
>favored by <http://www.mcfeelys.com/html/screwtech.html>woodworkers on
>both sides of the border.

Used 'em almost exclusively (exception: putting up the drywall) when
renovating my basement in the old house in Edmonton last summer.  Worked
beautifully.  8^>

Garth

P.S.:  If you need Robertson drivers, lemme know -- I'd be happy to post
some to you in a multi-driver format...