[OM] Re: Pen FT

Subject: [OM] Re: Pen FT
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:44:30 -0800
Hmmm... you didn't go overboard or anything, eh..?

on 11/7/04 9:38 PM, Gordon Ross at gordross@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am the owner of 3 Pen FT's having overbought to have a prime example. I
> have a couple of questions.
> 1) Is the focus screen removeable? How?

Not without getting almost complete disassembly, and its 'joined' to the
prism it sits next to. I've split one apart, and getting it back in place
still eludes me...
> 2) I have a replacement eyepiece, how do you go about installing it?

This is easier, but you need to remove the top. On the FT that means the
self-timer lever comes off, a fiddley task. The 'button' screws in normal
thread, but under that there is a left-thread slotted screw. Two more screws
under the rewind know, which unscrews off its shaft like the OM's. I think
there's a screw at the other end as well. Once the top cover is off, there
are two screws that hold the viewfinder frame onto the body of the camera.
There is foam around it too... but you'll see how it comes off once you're
in there.
> 3) Is the cleaning of the finder easily accomplished, and if so what is the
> routine?

This is involved, as there are a couple of prisms and some mirrors involved,
plus some lenses. But do-able with care.
> 4) Is there a downloadable Tech manual?

I've not found one, but there are some resources on the web. Classic Cameras
has an 'article' that has some good basics. Pen FT is not the easiest camera
to work on, and if you're not somewhat experienced and confident, and have
good tools and know how to use them, I'd suggest building experience first.
The Pen F is simpler inside by virtue of not having a meter, but otherwise
similar. The dual-stroke wind is a bit different to get in 'time' than the
single stroke FT winding... there are some other differences.

> So far I have the following, some of which will be available, if interested
> just contact me:
>
> 3 Pen FT's all with full operation of  meter, timer, shutter etc.
> 1 20/3.5 w/hood and caps
> 1 25/4.0
> 1 38/1.8 w/hood
> 1 40/1.4 w/hood
> 1 100/3.5 w/hood
> 1 50-90/3.5 Zoom w/hood & cap
> 3 lens back cap
> 3 F lens caps

Gord - I might want your lens caps and back caps... please contact me
privately with cost info.
> Thanks Gord

Thanks,
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...

A few Pen F's and FT's just to round things out...