[OM] Curves, was 10/28 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Curves, was 10/28 fragment of my day
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 17:46:29 +0000
Joel

Thanks for your advice.  Soon (ish) I hope to have a load more pictures
on my website and I hope that their being in Adobe RGB will not be a
huge disadvantage.  I shall try your Curves formula...

Lucky you getting a Powerbook G4!  If you find it difficult to use,
send it to me for mending ... ;-)

Chris

On 31 Oct 2004, at 13:12, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Chris,
> Yes, that's pretty much correct about the browsers and sRGB.  I pull
> the
> capture image into AdobeRGB when it opens, as that's my working space
> (forgot to mention that step).  Left in AdobeRGB, the browsers will
> flatten
> out and desaturate the color.  Such at least is the behavior in the PC
> world.  I'd be curious if it is similar on a Mac, if you care to
> experiment.
>
> My curves adjustments are extremely simple, and there are mainly two of
> them (almost never used together -- one or the other is usually
> enough).  Assuming levels have already been corrected (white and black
> points only), in curves I will sometimes grab the line right in the
> middle
> at around 128 and drag it down to about 115.  This often improves the
> "body" of the color palette, and it's very subtle and, I think, not
> damaging.  The other adjustment is for contrast:  click the very
> middle of
> the line to anchor it, and then grab the middle of the lower segment
> and
> pull down a little and watch to see if contrast improves.
>
> I will soon have access to an old G4 Powerbook at work, so I expect to
> be
> ambidextrous in the future with any luck.
>
> Joel W.

<|_:-)_|>
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.