[OM] Re: Trip to the big city - pro processing lab

Subject: [OM] Re: Trip to the big city - pro processing lab
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:43:57 -0700 (PDT)
> This must be why some of the best photo publications in the
> world are shooting entirely digitally (Sports Illustrated) or
> the majority of their images digitally (Nat'l Geographic). The
> Nikon DX sensors are effectively APS sized.

It comes down to application. I wouldn't put Sports Illustrated
as the pinnicle of image quality.  How many times per issue do
you see pictures with JPEG artifacts all over the place?  Nor
would I say National Geographic always nails image quality
either.

> Just because you can fix things
> in post doesn't mean any skilled photographer who cares about
> his craft should or would approach his photography that way.

But the fact is, it DOES happen.  Digital is being used for
comps and test shots.  It's the modern day poloroid.  But the
final shot is being done on film.  We're NOT talking 35mm here.
And we're not talking sports or news photography.

> Something that Peter Read Miller mentioned in our workshop is
> that they get shots now
>   in sports with digital that they could not get at all with
> film, period.

Again, we're not talking sports.  We're talking about specific
applications in a specific market with a couple high-end
publishers.

> Personally, I would put more stock in what working pros tell
> me they do than a camera store that has a vested interest in
> selling me something, especially film and MF camera that has
> been sitting on a shelf for a long time.

Ok, what if I told you that the WORKING PROS around here don't
use Canon as much as Nikon?  What?  I thought the common wisdom
is that NOBODY uses anything but Canon digitals.

Secondly, this was from a lab that does only one
thing--processing and output.  Like I said before, this is a
business-to-business place.  Not a dusty camera in sight. The
bulk of their business is less than two hour turnaround time.
They know how to serve their customer base and the
time-to-delivery is almost as fast as digital. Another thing is
that the primary facility in the area handling drum scanning and
pre-press is about three minutes away. A shuttle car goes back
and forth almost constantly.

> Face it, the writing is on the wall for film with respect to
> commercial,  photojournalism, sports or product photography.

Yes it is.  But to draw a parallel, the writing was on the wall
regarding film stock in the movie industry 25 years ago. There
will ALWAYS be exceptions to the "rule".

Higher quality digital backs for medium format equipment WILL
force the transition, though.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo