[OM] Re: Trip to the big city - looking at cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Trip to the big city - looking at cameras
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:35:19 +1000
Went to a school graduation ball last Saturday - there were two
photographers working the crowd early. Table and group shots. There
were using film in - wait for it - Pentax K1000's! The settings on the
cameras/lenses/flashes were literally glued in place. The shooters were
hired for their personality, not their photographic ability - then fast
trained in manipulating people, framing and focussing. MacDonalds
photography.
5x7's were available well before the end of the night for purchase and
reprints available (ring and quote the number on the back. I asked, why
not digital? Too expensive, too fragile, too complex for the cheap
labour and this works - was the reply. The people buying the shots were
very happy with the results and stumped up the cash, despite the fact
that every one of the 80-odd tables (12 per) had at least two P&S
digitals in play.
Interesting to watch people using little didges too - they still take
just one shot! Amazing.
Andrewf