[OM] Re: Lunar eclipse

Subject: [OM] Re: Lunar eclipse
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:43:52 -0500
At 11:44 PM 10/27/04, Bill Barber wrote:

>Well, you all should have come to Houston where the deer and the antelope
>roam and skies are not cloudy all day.  Not really, however there were no
>clouds in the sky and it was fabulous for an hour or so.
[snip]

It looked as if we might have a decent night of it around sunset . . . then
cloud cover rolled back in again about the time the umbral phase
started.  Saw the news later tonight afterward and wish I had been near
Saint Louis . . . which had clear sky during the entire event . . .  and
not in the middle of Indiana.  We were dodging cloud cover all night
getting little breaks here and there.  Did manage to get the OM-4 on the
back of a 14" Celestron . . . had to use a photographic "condenser" lens as
its focal length is too long for even prime photography of the moon.  I
have no idea how well they will look . . . as I strongly suspect the series
I made were with thin clouds obscuring it . . . IOW one could see the disc
but could not really focus without getting the edge into the middle of the
frame, focusing, and then moving it back.  The scope I was using was open
for public viewing for part of the time . . . so I had to get the
photography time on it that I could during the latter half of totality.  A
10" Klevtsov-Cassegrain of my own is in the plans for some time next
year.  We've been fairly lucky to get reasonable to good viewing conditions
over the past two years when we've opened up the 14" scope for public
viewing.  Within another month or two we should have a new 16" in its
place.  :)

I used Kodachrome 64 with some fairly long exposures . . . into multiple
seconds (during totality).

-- John Lind