[OM] Re: Questions, Re: When is enough enough? ...

Subject: [OM] Re: Questions, Re: When is enough enough? ...
From: Der Eiserne Reiter <ferider@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:40:26 -0700 (PDT)
Dear AG,

last year we had a racoon in our house eating our cat food ... but this is
another story :-)

When I said #samples, I meant nr of bits (signal processing lingo). I guess
your A1 RAW
files are 14 or 16 bit deep, right ?

What happens when you print them out,
1) unmodified
2) modified in Pohotoshop by reducing the bit depth to 8 bits per channel

Do you see the digital noise earlier for the 2nd case, even if both prints have
the same
resolution ?

Regards,

Roland.

--- AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I am always amazed when
> > people on the *bay sell lenses with dust, haze, scratches and
> > cleaning marks "that have no effect on picture quality".
>
> Hey, you gotta consider that most cameras have rolls of film in
> them containing two Christmases, three birthday parties and a
> raccoon on the deck.  Most people have never seen what is
> possible with their cameras when the film is printed by a good
> lab technician.
>
> > I am also wondering how much pixel depth affects resolution.
>
> In this case, I don't think it does very much.  When I do
> multiple scans using VueScan, the tonalities smooth out
> slightly, but the loss of resolution from all the overlays
> counteracts it.
>

> > even for B&W pictures. Did you see that ? In other words, when
> > you reduce the
> > bit depth in photoshop from 16 to 8, the sharp cut-off you
> > observe should
> > become more prominent or happen earlier.
>
> Not quite sure what you mean.  Can you explain again?
>

> > All that does remind me of tube vs transistor amplifiers, or
> > CD vs LP discussions we used to have 15 years ago ...
>
> Or every three months right here on this list.
>
> AG

> http://vote.yahoo.com

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx