[OM] Re: Sigma recti-linear 14mm/3.5

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma recti-linear 14mm/3.5
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:27:29 -0700 (PDT)
Jim Wrote:
 >> I think to some degree flare is inherent in the application of
super-wide lenses... I've found it very important to know where the light
sources are, and use the lens shade if available, and that still won't avoid
flare if the light source is in the picture, which seems to happen fairly often
when you're taking in 110-degree angle-of-views. Of course, my widest is the
Zuiko 18/3.5, which is a bit narrower than a 14, quite a bit so I believe.<<

Jim ,
       the 14mm Sigma seems a bit worse than say my 16mm/3.5 Olympus lens,
which has a wider range of view than the 14mm. Part of it is the the front
element goes forward a lot further, so even though it has a "perfect" tulip
hood it catches light rather easily from the side. But if you look at
Christoph's website referenced in a few posts back, you can see  how a white
wall directly in the picture causes real problems.  Another problem you
generally refer to as being inherent in super wides,  is that these lenses tend
to bring into focus reflections off glass surfaces, as the depth of field is so
wide it may include the front lens elements. This likely creates particularly
large hotspots.

Regards,
Tim Hughes