[OM] Re: Sigma recti-linear 14mm/3.5

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma recti-linear 14mm/3.5
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:30:04 -0700
on 10/9/04 11:41 PM, Tim Hughes at timhughes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I just bought one of these relatively well rated lenses from a list member.
> It seems pretty nice but seems to suffer from flare a little worse than some
> of the other ultrawides, like the 16/3.5 Oly semi-fisheye. Does anybody have
> any experience/recomendations on what are optimum apertures for minimising
> this?
>
> Regards,
> Tim Hughes

Tim -- I think to some degree flare is inherent in the application of
super-wide lenses... I've found it very important to know where the light
sources are, and use the lens shade if available, and that still won't avoid
flare if the light source is in the picture, which seems to happen fairly
often when you're taking in 110-degree angle-of-views. Of course, my widest
is the Zuiko 18/3.5, which is a bit narrower than a 14, quite a bit so I
believe.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...