[OM] Re: E1 and ancient Zuikos

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 and ancient Zuikos
From: Dorothée Rapp <om@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:27:50 +0200
Fernando :)

Fernando Gonzalez Gentile schrieb:

> I tried one for a few minutes a couple of weeks ago.
> Gut feelings: liked it in general, sturdy built. Since I've never used an
> autofocus camera before, I was surprised how the AF fooled on a low contrast
> scene (the Olympus announcement, yellow letters on blue background).

Yeah. AF in general was hard to get used to for me...
> Was
> also surprised at the small viewfinder, though I could focus manually there
> with ease.

Especially side by side with an OM4 it's tiny :). But if you don't have
it side by side, it's fine for me. Bright and clear, easy to focus (I
have the grid screen).

> Nice standard zoom, but didn't quite impress me.

Quite. I was tempted to get the body with 11-22 only, but my vendor
convinced me I'd never get the 14-54 for the kit price later on. And it
is nice with the macro functin for overall use.

> Too many readout
> info here and there, even inside the small viewfinder.

That's something I was irritated by in the beginning too. Coming from
the nice ascetic OMs....though I got used to that quickly too. The font
is nice :)

> Very easy to trigger the shutter, perhaps too easy.

But with a definite contact point (don't know a better word for it),
right? And nice to be able to stay halfpressed when shooting in serial mode.

> Quiet, silent.

Yes :))

> No
> surprise you find an amazingly small mirror (and focusing screen) inside ;^)

It's so tiny! When I had to change focussing sreen (it comes in the
original OM focussing screen box, but the squeezers are a bit different
- worse for my taste), I thought I needed a magnifying glass :))) (or
maybe just glasses....)

cheers!

:Doro