[OM] Re: Now OT: sniping (was: Price of Zuiko 50 3.5 (macro))

Subject: [OM] Re: Now OT: sniping (was: Price of Zuiko 50 3.5 (macro))
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:23:13 -0300

>  My bidding/sniping philosophy has always been to look at an item, figure
out exactly the maximum >amount I would pay for it and still think I got a
good deal, snipe it for that amount, then fuddedaboudit >-- set it and
forget it.

That is about my philosophy as well, which means I lose at least 20 snipes
for every one I win.
Sometimes I've been surprised to find a win way below what I had set the
snipe for.

>  For example, I bid $888.88 on a LN 35-80/2.8 Zuiko and $777.77 on a
300/2.8 Tamron with all >the accessories, got the former for $888.50 and the
latter for $775.00.  I bid in amounts like $222.22, >$101.01 or $234.56, and
so on.
> Walt, odd any way you look at it

Good prices, but scary numbers. I don't usually work with numbers that large
on epay. I guess I did buy a C5050 from olympusamerica, but they are the
exception that I'd trust for very high amounts. Thankfully the largest
transaction for me on epay was a sell, a John Deere model M tractor for
about $2000, which a guy in Virginia bought, and drove up here to New
Brunswick, Canada, to pick up. Counted out American century notes, so I
wasn't too worried about the money.

Wayne