[OM] Re: New Coating Technology?

Subject: [OM] Re: New Coating Technology?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:34:41 -0700
I found a little more information. Does not really explain much.
Probably very delicate if it is reserved just for the inside elements.
Evidently it is a proprietary process:

The AF-S VR Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED also benefits from the
application of Nano-Crystal Coating to selected elements, which
provides superior anti-reflective properties that virtually eliminate
ghost and flare and provide clear and vivid images when shooting under
powerful sunlight or indoors under spotlights. Created and honed in the
process of developing Nikon’s advanced NSR (Nikon Step and Repeat)
semiconductor manufacturing device, this marks the technology's first
introduction in a photographic lens and in a consumer product.

Maybe your scanner lens needs cleaning? A little smoke film or dust
could be a problem. Or is this a common complaint? I had wondered
whether there might be problems other than exaggeration of surface
defects because of the tiny, very bright, contrasty LED based light
source.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA