[OM] Re: Information on a Carl Zeiss lens for OM

Subject: [OM] Re: Information on a Carl Zeiss lens for OM
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:18:59 +1000
It's more complex than that. The Eastern operation out of Jena made
some ordinary lenses and some rather good ones. Even some classics. But
do not confuse the Western Zeiss or East German 'Jena's' with the ones
made in the '90's - which I think someone said resulted from the Jena
operation selling off the name after re-unification (that sounds
likely).
There is a range of such lenses which appear to have been made in Korea
or China and are fairly ordinary. They often come in a reddish/tan
case. The design is clearly not European and the quality is low  to
ordinary - not as good as a Tamron or non-ATX Tokina, for instance.
They would compete with cheapies like Zykkor, Cimko, Formula 5  and
some others I see around here. They also appear looking almost
identical under other German brand names like Exakta and Beroflex, who
have made a name more recently with whopping great cheap telephotos up
to 1200mm.
Unfortunately, some devious weasels on oboy use the confusion over the
Zeiss name to sell these at premium prices, sometimes referring
directly to the fine reputation of Zeiss optics. This is a scam. Get
something much better for much, much less.
AndrewF