[OM] Re: Addicted to glass

Subject: [OM] Re: Addicted to glass
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:25:52 -0400
OK, this pea-brained hick had to look it up. Thanks for expanding
my brain. Computer optimized lenses just don't have it:

Main Entry:pen·um·bra
Pronunciation:p&-'n&m-br&
Function:noun
Inflected Form(s):plural pen·um·brae
<javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?penumb02.wav=penumbrae')>
7d3f99.jpg
 /-(")brE, -"brI/; or -bras
Etymology:New Latin, from Latin paene almost + umbra shadow -- more at
<http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=umbrage>UMBRAGE
1 a : a space of partial illumination (as in an eclipse) between the perfect
shadow on all sides and the full light b : a shaded region surrounding the dark
central portion of a sunspot
2 : a surrounding or adjoining region in which something exists in a lesser
degree : <http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=fringe>FRINGE
3 : a body of rights held to be guaranteed by implication in a civil
constitution
- pen·um·bral <javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?penumb03.wav=penumbral')>
7d3f99.jpg
 /-br&l/ adjective
7d3fb8.jpg

Wayne

At 11:09 AM 9/11/2004, the Poet-Philosopher again mused:

>I like the 3-dimensionality of my two Zuikos. The Bokeh is
>creamy and has a variable penumbra based on distance from
>critical focus. The penumbra even fades. Modern lens
>designs--especially the zooms and "digital" lenses with parallel
>rear-exit characteristics do not generate the same type of
>Bokeh. Objects out of focus actually are "multiple-imaged" which
>creates a sense of Bokeh, but with a harsh penumbra and poor
>fade characteristics.

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: 7d3f99.jpg

-- Type: image/jpeg