[OM] Re: which slide film? - From Gary Reese

Subject: [OM] Re: which slide film? - From Gary Reese
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:56:56 -0400
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<< I was wondering: If you shoot a low contrast scene with Velvia and
Astia, then punch up the Astia saturation after scanning to match the
Velvia, does that also increase the grain/noise effect as well, making
the result a wash? >>

Gary Reese offered this reply via personal email, since he still can't post to
the OM List (yup, its been three years since he lost that ability and its never
been corrected). He is teaching photography these days at the Community College
of Southern Nevada.

A saturation boost doesn't impact sharpness, at least to my eye. The advantage
of scanning Astia is that you can really punch up the Unsharp Masking
parameters. In particular, Threshold can go down to about 4, whereas it
requires 11 with Kodak E100VS and about 6 with Provia 100F, or 14 with Provia
400F. The RMS Granularity of the film you scan is closely correlated to what
you can set Threshold to. What you want to avoid is exaggerating the grain in
the sky or large areas of the same color or tone. That is a limiting factor way
before you get the unsightly halos between adjacent high and low key subject
matter - halos which characterize oversharpened digital prints.

Amount can also be increased some when you use Astia. Radius doesn't change
much and seems dictated by format size, ranging from 1.5 at the low end for
35mm scans to 2.1 for 4x5 scans.

To me, Astia 100F is the single best choice when you know you are going the
digital hybrid approach. Minimizing grain is critical to keeping film images
competitive for critical acceptance versus grainless digital images.

Gary Reese