[OM] Ah, Bokeh! Or is it Hokey?

Subject: [OM] Ah, Bokeh! Or is it Hokey?
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:12:34 +0000
Last summer I did a short series (about half a roll of Provia 100F) of test
shots to compare the 90/2 Zuiko and the 90/2.8 Tamron macros.  I couldn't tell
any real difference.  Now, since the bokeh subject has reared its fuzzy head
again, and because the 90/2 Zuiko is said by many to have the most wonderful
bokeh, I'm putting up a couple of shots, one taken with each lens.  About the
only things these lenses have in common is that they both have nine-blade
diaphragms.

These are straight scans, with no sharpening or other adjustments whatsoever,
of a deliberatly chosen "difficult" subject in fairly harsh lighting.  For some
reason, although scanned at 2700 d.p.i. before being JPGed down to 800 pixels
wide, they look kinda "soft."  I promise, though, that they are equally sharp
and have oodles of detail.  But anyway, I'm doing this only for the bokeh, so
"soft" don't much matter.

If anybody can see any difference, I hope they'll 'splain it to me.  I guess
I'm just not all that sensitive, because bokeh has never been that important to
me.  Unless it's really bad and/or the subject is really boring, I usually
don't even notice it.

http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-724214.html
http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-724215.html

Walt, the bokeh clod