[OM] Re: Sincere Sympathies for Schnozz

Subject: [OM] Re: Sincere Sympathies for Schnozz
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:43:25 -0400
On 8/24/2004 at 1:56 PM AG Schnozz wrote:

>> I suppose Efke is so totally different from the types of film
>> you have used (single layer, high silver content), that
>> recalibrating yourself to its use as a standard would be as
>> emotionally painful as giving up and going totally digital.
>
>I don't have a problem with going through a recalibration
>process. It's just that the time and money spent on doing so
>means that I don't want to go through it too often.  Materials
>alone could mean several hundred dollars.  It can take over 100
>hours to recalibrate to a new film/developer or paper/developer.

This is why I resist digital.  It is not that I =can't= do the recalibration...
it's the prospect of spending the time.  I have done the calibration for a
couple of film types and developers, plus paper/developer combinations.  It was
fun once...

>There are a few specialty manufacterers out there that might get
>some attention.  But my biggest gripe is that as a
>semi-commercial lab operation, the primary supplier of my B&W
>"System" is letting the world know that they are short-timers.
>
>> I am holding off on making the move.  Part of it is for
>> economic reasons, as digital printing DOES cost more, A FACT.
>
>For a darkroom with more than one hour per week of use, you are
>correct.  Sporadic operations cost more due to high waste.
>Uncalibrated systems produce even more wastage.
>
>> Putzing around in the darkroom with different developers,
>> dilutions, toners, etc., just doesn't have an analogue (pun
>> intended) in the digital world.  At least it's not nearly as
>> cheap.
>
>Sure it does.  That's what "Photoshop" is all about.  It's
>usually much easier to accomplish whatever in PS than in a
>chemical darkroom.  The look will be different in the end, but
>that's due to a differing serindipity.

But I still don't think it's the same.  OK, let me put it this way... it isn't
as engaging for me, not to mention not as much fun.  And surely not to mention
that to get a digital b&w print that equals a silver print ... and we haven't
even mentioned platinum contact prints yet.  Not that I've every done any, but
it would be fun.

Earl