[OM] Re: Sincere Sympathies for Schnozz

Subject: [OM] Re: Sincere Sympathies for Schnozz
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:03:32 -0400
On 8/24/2004 at 12:21 PM AG Schnozz wrote:

>Too bad I don't have any medium format gear.  I'm at a loss as
>to what I'm going to feed the 4x5.  I *could* go to Kodak, but
>for how long?

I suppose Efke is so totally different from the types of film you have used
(single layer, high silver content), that recalibrating yourself to its use as
a standard would be as emotionally painful as giving up and going totally
digital.

>My wife would rather that I abandon film altogether.  I can't
>bear that thought yet.  But B&W was the only viable reason for
>me to keep film.

I am holding off on making the move.  Part of it is for economic reasons, as
digital printing DOES cost more, AFAICT.  Putzing around in the darkroom with
different developers, dilutions, toners, etc., just doesn't have an analogue
(pun intended) in the digital world.  At least it's not nearly as cheap.

But also I hold on because I remember the introduction of the CD... "Perfect
Sound Forever".   Here we are, 20+ years later and vinyl is still being pressed
and new turntables introduced that still advance the art of music reproduction.

Let's not all lose heart quite yet.

Earl