[OM] Re: Re: TTL Multi Connector

Subject: [OM] Re: Re: TTL Multi Connector
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:35:51 +0200
Hi Radek,

>    TTL multiconector is just passive repeater (parallel
> connection of pins), like T32 or OM-2sp,3(Ti),4(T,Ti)
> has shoe pins repeated to TTL connector.
> Number of this way parallely connected flashes is limited
> because of decreasing  input impedance of quench circuit.

Thanks for this info. I've guessed it.

Since I plan to experiment with a "multitude"
of TTL connected flashes, wiring them together
without using original TTL cords and connectors
and T20 adaptors doesn't seem to be a problem.

That leaves two questions:

Is mixing T-series flashes and "generic" OM-dedicated
flashes dangerous? Or disfunctional?

Another research through web'n'groups has brought
the information that the 9-flashes-maximum dogma
set by Olympus is pretty much on the safe side. It
could be up to 14 or 15 units, before the collective
impedance change fouls the quench procedure. Did
anyone ever get that adventureous to find out?

An alternate and/or complementing approach will be
wireless TTL flashes. Yes, wireless!
The only set of flashes (known to me) capabable of
handling this feat are M*tz 40 MZ.. flashes (and that
"slightly" more expensive 54 MZ..).
One goes as master flash on top of any TTL OM via a
SCA 321 adaptor. All others are equipped with SCA 3080
(actually any SCA 308x) slave adaptors, that do the
clever to'n'fro quench talking for the whole setup.

The material side of these experiments is pretty
easily AND pretty cheaply obtainable by doing some
eB*y shopping. Working SCA flashes are around 10,- EURO
a piece, SCA 321 adapter fare at a rate of 14,- EURO.
(All prices are for german eB*y deals, I made during
the recent months. I do eB*y statistics for nearly
all OM and OM related equipment since more than 2
years and covered more than 13000 [yes, thirteenthousand]
transactions. Again: all related to eB*y Germany)

Long talk, short question: Has anyone done so before,
and can now keep me from disasterous experiences? Or
is this pioneer land, never touched by OM photographer's
foot before?

Andreas