[OM] Re: What if...

Subject: [OM] Re: What if...
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:19:26 -0400
Before this list becomes R rated, I'll comment. The OM lenses have a
nice feel, but the E-1 has much less vibration when doing macro stuff.
And the manual focus has these nice clicks from the stepper motor that
feels good also. I find the E-1 balances in my hands better than an
OM-4t with 35-80.

As to which choice I think would depend on who the advice was for and
what type of photography. There are times when only a manual body film
camera will work. With film you have to consider the cost and hassle of
a film scanner. Lately, I have more and more resistance to the struggle
with scanning film.

I would not want a digital body for the OM system. The E-1 with adapter
is close enough if you really want to use the OM glass. Or C*non if you
want a larger frame. But how many times are you really going to do
that? And for what purpose? If you like the lens put it on an OM camera
with some film. If you want digital, go digital.

Some reasons for film:

() B&W and doing your own development;
() You want a more legal record - film versus bits;
() Extreme weather and cold - mechanical camera;
() Dependence on batteries;
() Very large format without stitching;

These all seem rather specialized reasons that a beginner is not likely
to start out doing. More likely they will just take some pictures.

But the bottom line is, which camera would they really use? A local
friend has a C*non Elan and a P&S digital. She disliked the feel and
behavior of the P&S so much she stopped taking pictures. That is when
you know you have the wrong camera. I suggested that she return to the
Elan she liked. You can get some pretty decent low cost film cameras
these days. A decent digital is still at a higher price point. But if
they are a *serious* beginner - digital, or perhaps film in a system
they can upgrade to digital with.

\A/yne