[OM] Re: Digital vs. Film discussions REQUEST TO DSLR USERS

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital vs. Film discussions REQUEST TO DSLR USERS
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:06:26 -0400
At 12:08 PM 8/14/2004, Simon Worby wrote:

>I've decided to join the Digital vs. Film discussions...
>
>Please could someone send me a sharp focus, no camera-shake image from a
>good DSLR (preferably E-1, but not necessarily). Anything with good
>details will do...

OK Simon, I decided to play - sort of.

The following is a link to a 3076 x 2052 image shot with a Canon 10D (6mp),
in RAW format, converted to a TIFF image, down-sampled to 899x 600 in
Photoshop and then saved as a JPG.

<http://jjohnso4.home.comcast.net/Temp/SimonTest.jpg>

Here is a 100% (unsampled) 468 x 468 crop from the bottom right of the
original TIFF image, saved as a JPG.

<http://jjohnso4.home.comcast.net/Temp/SimonTestCrop.jpg>

And, here's a 372 x 372 crop from the top center of the image:

<http://jjohnso4.home.comcast.net/Temp/SimonTestCrop2.jpg>

For people other than Simon that may not be accustomed to viewing images at
100% on a monitor.  The image really is sharper than it looks in the crop
because what you're seeing would make a very large print if printed at the
same scale.  For example, if you're viewing the crop on a 15" monitor
running at a resolution of 768x1024 then the crop is the equivalent of a
~25" x ~37.5" print.  (I'm sure someone will check my math and let me know
if I miscalculated.)  :-)

Simon, others - feel free to right click on the above images and download
for your own experimentation.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson