[OM] Digital vs. Film discussions REQUEST TO DSLR USERS

Subject: [OM] Digital vs. Film discussions REQUEST TO DSLR USERS
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:08:34 +0100
I've decided to join the Digital vs. Film discussions...

Please could someone send me a sharp focus, no camera-shake image from a good
DSLR (preferably E-1, but not necessarily). Anything with good details will
do...

I intend to do the following:

Assume it is to be printed at 9x6, but not actually do it. Take a 1/2" by 1/2"
portion of the picture (which I reckon will be 160 pixels square for a 6.1 mega
pixel DSLR). Blow up to 4x (i.e. 320x320 so people can see the resolution).
Compare to a 1/2" by 1/2" scanned portion from a film camera off 9x6 film.

I appreciate the film camera will be at a disadvantage because of the
(digital!) scanning process, but I intend to compensate if I can by scanning in
at 720dpi (whereas I reckon the 6.1MP DSLR will effectively only have a
resolution of around 320 dpi).

Please could someone send me a picture by e-mail? (JPEG would be best.)

I know my methods aren't totally scientific, but I'm trying to be objective in
my own mind, to help me decide whether digital is the way to go yet...

Thanks,

Simon Worby
Newbury