[OM] Re: freezing film

Subject: [OM] Re: freezing film
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 18:29:49 -0300
on 14/08/2004 13:37, Winsor Crosby at wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> How long do you intend to save the film? I have used film that was two
> years out of date that had been refrigerated with no problems. Exact
> temperature of your film freezer does not seem like something to obsess
> over unless you a making a time capsule to be opened in a hundred
> years.

> Winsor

> On Aug 14, 2004, at 8:58 AM, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

>> I'd better stock some Provia 100F here, and I usually keep film in the
>> fridge which I thought was enough.
>> Finished measuring actual temperatures inside my fridge and my freezer:
>> freezer is 20 Celsius degrees below zero, while fridge is 5 degrees
>> over zero.
>> Are you serious when you say you stock your film freezing it at -20ºC ?

Hi Winsor,

I would save film for some two years, since something I don't completely
understand is happening at the local market. It's been more than one year
that I can't buy fresh 100 F 35mm format, and Fuji main lab keeps telling
they don't have in stock. Another pro lab, where I used to enlarge beautiful
Cibachrome and Radiance once in a while, tell me they don't have it in stock
either, but offered Ektachrome 100 G and GX instead. By chance, I contacted
the firm that imports all Fuji stuff from Japan and they do have a little in
stock at US$ 6 +VAT each. In the meanwhile, I've been using refrigerated
Velvia 50 expiration date August 2002. No problems unless you bathe it with
mineralized water for a week before developing ;^)
I know from experience that getting obsessed about something frequently
results in some unforeseeable damage. So my question would be if -20ºC can
make some damage to the film (perhaps it could perfectly stand -80ºC); or is
it just the same to keep it refrigerated at +5ºC. Besides, I find it more
comfortable to stock it at -20, have more free space there.

Thanks for answering.

Regards,

Fernando.