[OM] OT A report from the dark side

Subject: [OM] OT A report from the dark side
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:47:55 -0700
Since I know others here have slid a bit into the shadows, I thought I would
pass on some info of possible use.

I am very grateful to Winsor for pointing out the hacked firmware for the 300D.
I am happy to report that it works just as advertised, that installation went
without a hitch and I have had not trouble at all with it. So I now have
control of AF mode, variable flash exposure control, iso 3200, mirror lock up,
with adjustable delay, smaller RAW file sizes by setting the smallest size
imbedded JPEG and another goodie or 2 I forget. Essentially everything from the
10D of importance to me is now on the 300D. I did download and save a copy of
the current firmware as backup.

I found a beta of a file viewer and RAW converter for Can*n RAW files
<http://www.lennkvist.com/Xplorer/RawThumbs.asp>. I don't think the RAW
conversion in it is any great shakes, but the viewer is quite nice. It sort of
emulates Windows Explorer, but displays thumbnails for .CRW files with iso and
exposure data and has a large preview that loads very quickly. Much better for
cruising through the images than FileViewer or PS. The beta is supposed to
expire in Sept. and he doesn't say waht will happen after that, as he doesn't
have a product for sale yet. But even if it goes away, it adds the capability
to show thumbnails of .CRW files to the regular Windows Explorer, which will
remain.

Moose