[OM] Re: C-5060 -- Impressions

Subject: [OM] Re: C-5060 -- Impressions
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 18:48:10 -0700
After  I got my D100 I kept reading the forum at dpreview.com and there
was a lot of talk about the differences between raw conversion. I had
PS CS and had been using it, but decided to try Nikon's Capture. Not a
subtle difference. More shadow detail and vastly better skin tones. I
have read discussions in other places too. Some manufacturers are
generous with their code and others are not. Even if they are, the
difference is this. Each DSLR gets tested  for image quality after it
is manufactured and a series of codes is put in the firmware. The
manufacturers own software picks up those codes during raw conversion
so that the converted image reflects the manufacturer's idea of the
best image the camera can create. That is why it is best to use the
manufacturer's own conversion and an up to date version that includes
your own model of camera. It has complicated my workflow, but the
results are worth it.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA