[OM] Re: Hood for 28f2 + 55mm

Subject: [OM] Re: Hood for 28f2 + 55mm
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 06:27:52 -0400
on 2004/08/02 1:31 AM, Moose at olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Well, sure, but it is a help for those of use who have too many hoods
> lying around and want to know if one will work with a particular lens.
> ... With a rubber hood that is too narrow,
> you can simply cut it back until it works.
>
>> But that only works *after* you have bought the hood and have it hand.
>> :-)

Good suggestions, and I've put your nice, clear description of the method in
my "keep" folder. However, it seemed to me that Iwert wanted to know what to
buy.

Unfortunately, unless there's someone who has done exactly what he wants to
do (though there's a decent chance of that), it would be difficult to know
in advance which hood would work. The hood will be displaced forward by the
adapter, and none of the 55mm hoods are designed for any 28mm lens (as none
of them have that thread).

That said, he might want to try a hood for a 24/2. It'd be 55mm, and the
increased angle may compensate for the increased distance from the lens. If
I had one I'd offer to lend it for tests, but sadly don't even have the
lens. :-)

Otherwise, I like your suggestion - buy an inexpensive 3rd party rubber hood
and cut it. If anyone has good ideas on how to get an even cut (that don't
require a lathe) I'd be interested. Of course, a hack cut would make your
equipment less of a theft target. :-)

All that said, I'm not convinced of the usefulness of hoods for wideangles.
They're kind of like thong underwear - they don't cover much.

Andrew