[OM] Re: ( OM ) image sizes, dpi, pixels and pixes etc

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) image sizes, dpi, pixels and pixes etc
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:16:28 +0100
While it's true that a file in memory "doesn't really have a type - it's in
whatever internal format the software that opened it uses (perhaps just an
array of pixel values)" it's important to remember that those pixel values
are the values that have been read from disk file (or scanner), and include
only the JPEG encoded 'lossy' picture data.  Even though the pixel count may
be 18MB, you will not get 18MB of image data from a 1.2MB JPEG file. You may
not notice the difference in an ink-jet print at the desired size, but in
the case of printed illustartions in a publication, I suspect that there is
a risk the process of 'screening' the image for printing could magnify the
file-compression artifactts.

Piers