[OM] Re: alternative for the olympus 35-70 F4

Subject: [OM] Re: alternative for the olympus 35-70 F4
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 01:39:57 -0400
At 01:16 AM 7/30/2004, Moose wrote:

>OK, Roger, you sucked me in. I just won the auction for one on the 'Bay.
>I wasn't aware of the close focus characteristics of this lens and had
>overlooked it. What will that give me, maybe 7 or 8 different lenses in
>that general 28/35-70/135 range? I must be crazy, but I have fun at it.
>Still, close focus is one issue I have with all the ones I have.
>
>Maybe I can finally sell off a couple if I really like this one.

Well, there's another one, a real sleeper, that you still need to try
before you start culling.  It's the Kiron 28-85mm, 2.8-3.8f that I think I
might have mentioned to you before.  The text below was copied from the
"Cult Classic" web page.  I guess some people would stay away from this
lens because of the varifocal design but I haven't found that to be a
problem for my use.  The best thing, next to the image quality, is that you
should be able to pick one up in excellent condition for under $50.

Oh yeah, if you search the archives I believe you'll find some other
glowing reviews of it.

Later,
Johnny

Kiron 28-85mm Varifocal Macro Zoom Review (Modern Photography 1981)

Kiron's varifocal 28-85mm f/2.8-3.8 zoom rated 34 out of 36 excellent
ratings for center and corner sharpness (and the two holdouts were both
very goods) at 28, 50, and 85mm. Contrast rated as all highs at 28mm, all
but one high at 50mm, and mostly high at 85mm (center).

Quote: Based on our lab and field experience with the 28-85, we're happy to
say that it performs splendidly - better than any lens in this focal-length
range we've tested so far...

The lens close focuses to 1:4 macro shots without the need for macro
buttons or special settings. Both the 28mm and 50mm settings were superb by
f/5.6. Pincushion distortion was under 1.25%. Light falloff at 28mm was a
relatively high 1.4 stops at f/5.6, but only 0.3 stops at 85mm.

Here is an example of a Kiron varifocal mid-range zoom that is very sharp
and very contrasty, while delivering its best performance at the wider and
faster 28mm end of its range.

Johnny Johnson
Lilburn, GA
mailto:jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxx