[OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?

Subject: [OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:43:41 -0700
According to the mirror lens test summary on Lee Hawkins site, the Sigma
600/8 is pretty middle of the pack on contrast
<http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mp-cat-tests.txt>.
None of the mirror lenses except the Zuiko are very strong on contrast,
although the Tamron 500/8 isn't bad. Gary gave it "moderately high
contrast", the same as he gave the Zuiko, so it would appera that
Modern's measured difference wasn't very great in viewing slides. Since
I scan my shots, I can always adjust contrast, but I can never get
detail that isn't there, so I like the higher magnification and
resolution of the Sigma over the 500mm lenses. There is also the filter
issue. The Zuiko takes 72mm filters. The Tamron and Tokina take small
filters in back, but to change the Tamron, you have to dismount the lens.

I also have a Meade 1000/11, which has pretty good resolution and
modest, but ok, contrast.

Moose