[OM] Re: [OT] Photoshop

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Photoshop
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 19:19:43 -0700
Alienspecimen wrote:

>Hello Dudes and Dudettes,
>I would like to know, based on your experience, what the difference is between
>the Photoshop Elements and the full version of it.
>My computer suddenly went to computer heaven and I am looking for a new one.
>Although, a Mac fan, I am not sure if I want to buy one (long story), but
>would consider if I could get by with the Elements.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. PS has many more
capabilities than Elements. but if you don't need them, it's no better
at all. There is a review here
<http://popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=844&page_number=1>
that may be of help. I'm sure the Adobe site would show the differences
in features. I got a free copy of LE, the predecessor to Elements, with
a printer. Then there was the $150 upgrade to PS 6. Now I'm up to $450
spent and PS CS, and I'm hooked. The ability to work in 16 bit is
important when doing any significant changes to levels, curves, color,
etc. The digital data from most scanners and good cameras in RAW is
delivered at the 12 bit level. One can then do a lot of adjustments,
then convert to 8 bit for display devices and printers without any bumps
or gaps in the tonality. Again, if you don't do any of that, it s of no
use to you. The latest version, CS, does truely amazing things and I'm
only a tyro compared to all it can do.

>With the computer I intend to buy, I am also going to sample all my vinyl
>records and transfer them to digital domain.  I dont know yet what's involved
>in terms of HW/SW.  Anyone with experience, please, share.  I am sure I am not
>the only one on this list interested in this.

I did this with rather nice results using the audio input of a Sony VAIO
laptop and some free or shareware software. You are dependent on the
quality of the A/D converter in the sound card on the computer doing it
this way. Leaving aside high end audio aspirations, I was quite pleased
with the transfer quality. I think I use the Sony both because it was
much easier to carry it to the turntable and preamp than the desktop and
because Sony was advertising the VAIOs for multimedia, so I fugured the
sound hardware would be decent.

The software I used was Recordit and GiveMeTalk. Looking on the web now,
it appears that there are software apps for several different things now
under the Recordit name and Iomega may have absorbed the original to
create MP3 stuff on their removable media drives. Likewise, GiveMeTalk
seems to have disappeared. Lots of referrences to it, but no site
anymore. If memory serves, it was the one I actually ended up using. In
any case, I burned full CD type tracks, not compressed stuff.

I still have the install packages for both from Oct 2000 and can send
them to you if you want. I know they work on Win98, but haven't tried
them on the XP machine, so you would be on your own. GMT still starts,
so there doesn't appear to be any limited time ops for it.

Moose