[OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?

Subject: [OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?
From: Ross Orr <voxbongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:33:55 -0400
Joel Wilcox wrote:
>Of course, you're talking Panatomic X, whose loss was the first
>terrible decision in Kodak's re-birth as a digital giant,

Which reminds me. . . I revived my B&W darkroom last fall after a
lapse of 10 years, and was alarmed to discover the disappearance at
my local shop of two products that I'd previously considered
essential: *graded* Ilfobrom paper and Dektol.

Are they really gone for good, or do I just need to look around more?

I've been using Ilford fiber-base variable contrast paper, developed
in their liquid concentrate PQ developer--and have had a struggle
getting the "snap" in images that I hoped for. Also, the half-used
concentrate turns an alarming yellow before I can use it up, making
me suspect that it's losing it's oomph too. (With Dektol I would keep
the stock solution in a quart accordion bottle and don't recall a
problem.)

Thoughts or suggestions?

cheers,

  -- Ross

"Do something foolish once, and it's a mistake.
  Do it repeatedly and it's a philosophy."