[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:06:18 -0500
Hi Winsor,

Thanks for sharing these guidelines.  Some questions below:

It's just that I'm too curious about the extent of Olympus' support for
WA and what it might mean in working with RAW images in the C-5060, so
I'll probably pop for the 80x.  Might definitely get one cheaper 512
though.  I'll probably get a reader anyway and walk away from the
computer most of the time when it uploads.

> Raw vs. jpeg: while you may be able to extract the ultimate quality
> possible from a raw image because the file will stand up
> better to post
> processing, if you are used to nailing your exposure most of the time
> with color slide film, you should be able to shoot fine quality jpeg
> with almost no difference in the appearance of the final image. Then
> you do not have to worry about much post processing, extra
> storage for
> a trip like a lap top or large expensive, super fast CF cards.

With OM-2S or OM-4 I can get good exposures on slides, yes.  Is it your
implication that exposing for the highlights is the best way to preserve
the most data in jpeg mode?  I hope so.  I actually think this makes the
most sense for what I want to do, with an occasional RAW bracket for
insurance.  Isn't the histogram helpful for this as well?

Joel W.