[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 10:52:48 -0700
13 seconds for  C-8080. 13 seconds while you cannot take a picture or
change a setting for the next picture. Quick in jpeg though.

One of the advantages of the 8MP cameras is that almost all of them are
greatly improved in response time over their 5MP predecesors. If you
get a 5MP with the same large sensor you avoid many of the problems of
tiny sensor sites. They all have purple fringing, for instance, that
you may have to learn to avoid or fix. The Nikon 5700 has almost no
fringing in any circumstance, but it is a slower camera. The A1
probably renders a cleaner image in most circumstances than an A2 but
is not quite as quick.

These are all digicam problems that are nearly nonexistent for a DSLR.
Really. Think about it. Your stated size requirement is pretty much met
by the Canon 300D with kit lens, i.e., about the size of an OM with a
small lens. They have a black version now. It is the same price as the
digicam you are talking about with none of the limitations. There will
be no comparison in the percentage of smooth noise free exposures you
will get. Even if you decide later to move to the E-1 system your 300D
will serve better as a back up than a digicam.  And it is an all in one
solution too. And if you decide later that the E-1 provides for all
your photographic needs you will get more for the Canon if you sell it.

C-8080

Weight (inc.  batt)
  724 g (1.6 lb)

Dimensions
  124 x 85 x 99 mm (4.9 x 3.3 x 3.9  in)

300D

Dimensions
142 x 99 x 72 mm (5.6 x 3.9 x 2.8  in)

  Weight
  Body plus battery,CF and 18-55 mm lens: 835 g (1.8 lb)

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA