[OM] Re: Dying Film

Subject: [OM] Re: Dying Film
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:36:33 -0400
Traveling with film was not easy before 9/11 and I have not had
trouble with a few Xray scans of 100f film. It is a small percentage
push toward digital. International travel may be more of a concern.
I shoot both digital and film. I am buying less film these days, but
my push came from a loss of a 5 minute drive to my favorite lab
to a 30 minute drive to a less favorable lab. With digital I don't have
to drive anywhere. Film has the advantage in the battery
department, but it was always a hassle to travel with - X-ray
machines, Heat, Storage, humidity...

I wonder if Kodak film decline has anything to do with Fujifilm?
How is Fuji's film sales doing? I shoot mostly Fujifilm slide film.
I cleaned out the basement fridge of old film. What was being
tossed: E100S, Ektachrome 100 Plus and Elite Chrome. What
is still in there? Provia, Velvia, Astia 100f; some Tri-X, Acros,
Reala, and Portra.

The pro lab I go to, because it is closest, will only do a proof
sheets of print film. I miss Eastern Photographic, which was
close to my former employer in Lowell MA. They could do prints
without blowing out the contrast, or whatever I asked them to
do. I could even get 4 foot wide inkjet prints if I wanted.

Wayne