[OM] ( OM ) Spilt-screen centre darkening with wide-angle lens

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Spilt-screen centre darkening with wide-angle lens
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 05:28:46 +1200
Hello all

I was in "my" photo shop just now and a lady from a religious school came in
who had been using an OM2 and a wide angle lens to take group shots.

The central portion with the split-screen had darkened so much she could
not use it and had to use the matte area outside to focus with, which she
found very difficult.  I would too.

The staff member who attended her query knew I am an OM user, so asked
me what I thought. My only problems in this regard have come about when
using focal lengths over 300mm or maybe when stopped down. I explained
that all Zuiko lenses were designed to focus at full aperture.  The thought
was that maybe the wide-angle lens was not opening up and was stuck as a
smaller aperture. She is bringing the gear in to the shop tomorrow for
examination.

Any ideas?

Brian Swale