[OM] Re: Looking for a lost tripod

Subject: [OM] Re: Looking for a lost tripod
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:21:22 +0100
I like the apostrophe Walt; you are clearly a man of good taste,
sensibility and reading ... :-)

Oh, I like being retired (well, I am drawing my first pension anyway),
and being able to put stuff down without worrying about how long it
will take me to pack it all up again.

Good for your friend from the USN; but I have found that most of the
former military pilots of my acquaintance are moving around more than
they did while on active service – if they join the airlines or not.  I
aim to go against that grain.

Cheers

Chris

On 15 Jul 2004, at 17:59, Walt Wayman wrote:

> I do, at least a little, understand that.  One of my best friends, and
> a nextdoor neighbor back in the '70s, was a U.S. Navy pilot.  His wife
> said she could pack up all their belongings and be ready to move on 24
> hours' notice.  (See the appropriate placement of the apostrophe in
> this possessive, fellow readers of "Eats, shoots and Leaves"!)
>
> We followed them, usually only vicariously, from Atlanta -- why they
> would station a Navy pilot in a landlocked city is beyond me; I'll ask
> some day -- to Sicily, Puerto Rico, Pensacola, where he was an
> instructor, then to Memphis, where he now flies packages to Europe
> over the North Pole, including probably the occasional bit of OM gear,
> for FedEx.
>
> So, Chris, just retire, settle down with your feet on the ground, and
> then you can accumulate more stuff without a care.
>
> Walt
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.