[OM] Re: Digital Archiving Help

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Archiving Help
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 07:34:28 +0100
Dave

A former List member, Simon Evans, gave me this system (slightly
amended now):

C04/141/36 Sample subject

Where the C is the type of film (A for slide, B for mono, C for colour
negative or D for digital);

04 is the year;

141 is the roll number (in-year or from scratch perhaps);

36 is the frame number;

  ... with the subject following, however you wish to name it.

I don't punctuate the numbers, merely running them together so:
C0414136.

I leave a space between the numbers and the subject, but replace that
with an underscore character when putting them into a website – this
seems to be a reasonable convention for HTML files.

Chris

On 6 Jul 2004, at 22:25, Dave B wrote:

> Have recently started to scan photographs into my pc and have been
> getting
> developed film back on CD for the last 10 or so films.
>
> Want to set up a system of indexing / archiving and would welcome any
> advice
> . By film? By subject? By camera? By Date?
>
> Any recommends for software from commercial to freeware? If I plan the
> catalogue layout now when I have few pictures then hopefully the
> dividend
> will accrue in future?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dave