[OM] Re: Digital Archiving Help

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Archiving Help
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:44:59 +0100
Dave asked for suggestions for something 'scalable', which reminded me that
Jan Steinman mentioned both Extensis Portfolio and Canto Cumulus on this
list just over a year ago.  He spoke very highly (from his personal
experience, not mine) of Portfolio: "At the pro level, Extensis Portfolio
and Canto Cumulus pretty much own the
market. $100 to $200 for single-user, expandable into a full client-server.
I have been with Portfolio sinci it was called "Aldus Fetch." You can
download a demo from <http://www.extensis.com>. It has a few quirks, but
basically works very well. It will scale forever -- I currently have over
10,000 images in it, and searches are just as fast as when you only have a
few."  I have recently taken a quick look at Cumulus, but it seems directed
at a slightly different market.

I disagree with the "code" approach, because your future ability to find
images from your 'database' depends on how farsighted you were when you
designed your index.  As James says "once you know the film..." but as the
'database' gets bigger, you get older, and there is more chaff to sort
through to find the wheat.  Or maybe it's barley you're going to be looking
for.  I have no faith in my own prescience (but that doesn't exclude your
faith in your own, of course).  But I can endorse what Jan went on to say:
"The key to ANY imagebase is good keywording. There isn't really any good
way to do that automatically. It takes discipline. I keyword immediately
when adding."

Hope it helps to give a rounded view!

Piers