[OM] Re: Inexpensive ball head

Subject: [OM] Re: Inexpensive ball head
From: Ian Nichols <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:53:22 +0100

--On 22 June 2004 20:21 +1000 Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The only reason to use a ball head on a monopod that I can imagine is
> to flip over for portraits

That was my reason for using one on my monopod.  After a few years of using
a very cheap & nasty Hama item, I recently treated myself to a Benbo
compact ball head, which is really rather nice, but won't suit every
monopod as it uses a 1/4" thread to fix it.  That was another reason for
picking it - my monopod is a Velbon UP4000, which has what they
euphemistically call a "fixed head", which means it's a telescopic pole
with a flat top & a 1/4" screw.

The two smallest Manfrottos would also be a good choice, though I thought
the smoothness of the action of the Benbo was slightly better, plus I
didn't need a thread adapter.

Ian Nichols, School of Chemistry
I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx