[OM] Re: Sigma SD10

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma SD10
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:32:18 -0700 (PDT)
> Foveon must have
> sold their soul to Sigma to get that ship in an SLR so
> quickly.  So Sigma likely extracted a huge exclusivity premium
> in the negotiations, preventing Foveon from offering their
> technology to any other big maker.

Yup.  Something like a two or three-year exclusive, with
quantity minimums.  Foveon will likely do OK if Sigma fails to
meet the minimum volume.  The Foveon chip is a good thing,
Martha.  My guess is that they are negotiating with lots of
companies right now and you'll see a bunch of cameras start
emerging with the chip design.  Foveon is a privately owned
company and outsources nearly everything.  (National
Semiconductor and Synaptics are behind it)

> It's much like the Fuji S2/S3, which I think is pretty wacky,
> with it's grafted-on electronics, two power sources, and two
> LCD systems.  Again, no matter how good the electronics, to me
> it also has to handle nicely.  The E-1 is just about right for
> my needs right now.

Exactly.  The Super-CCD sensor rocks.  I'm most impressed with
it.  If the body was the same as the D1X I would have bought
into it without hesitation.

Maybe in another year or two, the cameras will have matured a
bit more.  Super-CCD sensors in Olympus E-2 with 18MP. (non
interpolated).  Yes, now were talking.

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail