[OM] Re: An SUV Question (roof rack capacity)

Subject: [OM] Re: An SUV Question (roof rack capacity)
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:52:11 -0700

>....and attach a piece of 3/4-inch plywood to the rack
>> using through-bolt U-straps with metal backing plates on the other
>> side.....

3/4" plywood will not offer nearly enough stiffness for a platform to
support a tripod. It would probably work well enough for you and a buddy
to sit back and sip a couple of cold ones and watch the independence day
parade over the heads of the hoipaloi (sp?). I know because it's been
done :>) For photography you would have to build a torsion box of some
design and fill it with foam. Attach as per Joe's suggestion. I've built
a custom car top carrier and mounted it on Yakima racks with U bolts.
Works fine. Of course add the stabilizer jacks.

mike