[OM] (OT) On batteries for Gossen Lunasix 3

Subject: [OM] (OT) On batteries for Gossen Lunasix 3
From: Nick Buchner <buchner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:11:19 +1000
Fernando,

As I understand it, there are two problems with using the 1.5V alkalines:

- the original 625 batteries were 1.25V, so the slight voltage difference
could result in some metering inaccuracy. Not sure if it would be enough to
worry about - others on the list may know.

- alkaline batteries have a different discharge characteristic to silver
oxide or mercury batteries. Basically, alkalines drop in output voltage
gradually over an extended period, rather than silver oxide or mercury,
which give consistent output and then die quite rapidly. So even if
re-calibrated for the higher voltage batteries, the meter could become less
and less accurate as their output drops. Again, I'm not sure what degree
we're talking here, ie. no. of stops etc.

I was always told to avoid using alkalines in meters or cameras for this
reason.

Hope this helps.

Nick Buchner
Sydney, Australia