[OM] Re: Reverse lens questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Reverse lens questions
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 21:05:58 -0400
on 2004/05/25 3:00 PM, Wim Verheyen at aemit@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I've put a 50/1.4 on a 200/4, which gives 4X Magnification.
>
> I've been trying similar things in the past and they never quite satisfied me.

I got some nice shots of ants. I've also seen some gorgeous work by Simon
Gardner(?) in Photo Techniques Vol. 24, No. 1: "Coupling 35mm Lenses for
High-Mag Photography". Disclaimer: I know the author through a mutual
friend; it was he and his images that convinced me to try this. I've been
using more conventional macro gear; perhaps I should go do this again.

Some more downsides:
 - You can't mount a macro flash on the mounting flange
 - The thick mounting flange tends to block light

BTW (to Mick) you can test out the idea (sort of) by just holding the lenses
together. Best to do this only with lenses of the same thread size.

> http://users.skynet.be/aemit/photo/macro.html ->
> If using a teleconverter, always put it between the camera body and the
> extension, not between the extension and the lens, this doesn't work.

Well, that doubles the focal length of the lens, and means you need twice
the extension, but should give you twice the working distance. I'll have to
go try this. Or did you get poor results?

Regards,
Andrew