[OM] Re: Scanner sharpness; Silverfast 6.0

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner sharpness; Silverfast 6.0
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:50:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 20 May 2004, AG Schnozz wrote:

> VueScan is able to calibrate to an IT8 target.  You scan the
> target slide, display the IT8 grid, adjust the grid position and
> size to line everything up and select the calibrate function.
> Save this as an IT8 profile for recall.

I never could get good colour profiles out of Vuescan's built in profiler.
After lots of experimenting and reading about how other people built profiles,
the best method I found is discussed in this thread:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=MPG.19ab7f7117e0580898a1a1%40ID-18456.user.dfncis.de&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522click%2Bneutral%2Bcolor%2Badjustment%2Bon%2Bthe%2BDMin%2B%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3DMPG.19ab7f
7117e0580898a1a1%2540ID-18456.user.dfncis.de%26rnum%3D1

The relevant part is:

   From my experiments with negative film profiling I found that lcms
   works better, if the colors are pre-adjusted. I did a right click
   neutral color adjustment on the DMin (GS0) patch. Then I adjusted two
   of the three RGB brightness values in order to achieve neutral grey
   values in the GS11 patch. Then I locked image color and wrote down the
   relevant values from color tab. With this adjustments I got best
   results from lcms.

By locking the exposure and adjusting for the GS0 and GS11 patches that sets
a good baseline for the scanner.  Set the colour space to device RGB, scan the
IT8 and feed it into Little CMS (available free on the net) to build the
custom profile.  When scanning leave the colour space set to device RGB in
Vuescan and apply the colour profile using whatever image editing program you
use.  Using this workflow I find that I get dead on accurate colours.
                                -mark